Thursday, March 17, 2011

Devastation of the Quake

Watching some of the images coming out of Japan of the utter destruction that the quake and tsunami caused, I couldn't help but think of the serious worldwide effects this would have. Am I going to be able to still get my favorite sushi roll and soy sauce? If there is a worldwide shortage, can we make sure I get the first batch of soy sauce at least? The article states :

A possible shortage of Kikkoman would be felt in Israel. "About 85% of the soy sauce used in Israel is Kikkoman. This is a very unusual figure in the world," Afriat says. "Israeli chefs feel very connected to this product. After the tsunami I received phone calls from hysterical people fearing a shortage of Kikkoman."

Is someone going to step up to the plate and make sure the world does not run out of soy sauce? If I have to have my spicy crab roll without my favorite soy sauce I also may become hysterical. Never mind that there is a nuclear meltdown underway; forget about 15,000 people dead or missing (and the number is rising) get me my damn soy sauce, because I have an occupation to maintain.

I interviewed local legend Muhammad Fahmy and he said, "I'm with Israel on this one. The nerve of people questioning the validity of their argument is absurd". And if Muhammad Fahmy said it, it must be the truth, so I guess I really have nothing else to say.

No comments: